Sunday, April 4, 2010

MJ 78: A Tribute


When I received word of Matthew's death on Friday, I first thought it was some sick joke. I then received the same message several times, and my parents received a call too from a family friend informing them of the tragedy. I was in shock and didn't know how to react. I tried to sort out the madness with some other friends who were close to Matt, but still couldn't make any sense of it. Fortunately, I was able to attend the impromptu vigil Friday night, which was amazing, but I left and still have a heavy heart and many questions.

I was fortunate enough to know Matthew since my grade school days. Even back then, his head took up half the hallway, and I could only look up in awe. As a 6th grader, he was already playing with the 8th graders; he was no doubt a big boy from day one. I'll always remember just laughing watching him play basketball in 8th grade missing layup after layup, getting his own rebound numerous times as his arms would tower above all the other kids around him, until he would finally lay it in. He was relentless. There was no doubt he was a project, and I can recall his dad (who is by the way, along with entire James family, truly one of the most genuinely nice people I have EVER known) working with Matt after our football Visitation practices on his foot work and speed.

Throughout high school, it was amazing to see this kid who I had known as a big uncoordinated, awkward guy develop into a tremendous blue-chip athlete at St. X. On both the basketball court and football field, Matt had an undeniable swagger that was a joy to watch. He accomplished amazing things, and I had the privilege to watch him. By the time Matt was a sophomore, he was already a force on the O-Line for the #1 team in the nation the St. Xavier Bombers. My brother, Patrick Berning '08, who was a senior running back on the 2007 state championship team with Matt had this to say:

"We lost one of the best thats for sure...in every aspect of life.Talk about a class act and a hard working kid....I remember my senior season you would go every play to the whistle, and usually that extra second longer...Man, you were one tough kid with a huge heart. Matt we went way back...Visitation domination then moving up to the big leagues at St. X...I have so many great memories of you and I thank you for that.....nothing better than running through a gigantic hole with big 78 leading the way..now you can lead the way to heaven...WE will miss you and remember you forever."


I personally grew particularly close to Matt these past fews months. I was the team statistician for the basketball squad, which Matt was a part of, and would always challenge Matt and his broke jump shot to some 3 point challenges in the pre game shoot arounds. He had a surprisingly soft touch, but I of course typically emerged the victor. He didn't get much playing time, and he was there more than anything to scare the living shit out of the opposing team as he warmed up on the opposite end of the floor. Passing in the halls, Matt would typically grab me by the head with his massive hand, and jokingly say "Berning, 1,000 points tonight" (as he knew I had control of the game stats) and I would always let him know I don't want the GCL's (aka God's Chosen League) leading scorer to be someone even I could take in a game of horse. He had a great sense of humor, and above all else was a great guy.

Just this past Wednesday, Matt and I were discussing Obamacare during free bell. We humored each other with our incredibly conservative remarks about Mr. Obama, and there was no doubt Matt was a fervent Conservative, or as he would put it, an "Amurican." It was just simple conversations like this where I really got to know Matt well and get an idea of the kind of person he was. I hardly even thought of Matt as this big time college football player, because I had known him since he couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time, and he was really just a big ole teddy bear to me. I'm about half his size and to most people just some scrawny ass junior, yet Matt would always go out of his way to joke around with me before he went on his merry way.


Matt's passing is truly devastating for the entire St. Xavier community and beyond, but something tells me we'll all be better people because of this. I'll always remember Matt as a great guy both on and off the field, who wasn't afraid to put his ego aside in order to make people smile. He's gone now, but will never be forgotten. I think it would be legit if the big 7-8 got retired, but whether or not this is done, I have no doubt the St. X community will pull together to remember the great person and athlete Matthew was. Regardless, it's hard to know you're gone Matt, but we love you man. Prayers for the James family, especially our good friend Max James, who are certainly going through some rough times mourning the loss of MJ 78.

We are Xavier Men FOREVER. LONG LIVE KING JAMES!!

3 comments:

  1. this post took me literally 20 minutes to compose. I can honestly say this was an honor to write about, and words were flowing off me fingertips. what a great man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats what we call Divine Intervention brah. Please I welcome any and all POSITIVE commemorative comments about Matthew James on this comment board. It can be similar to that of the facebook group if you so choose to share. I thank all of you in advance:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding story. This very sad outcome is still heavy on my heart. We are all praying for his family and as St. X men will truely miss him and honor him for a long time to come. RIP Matt.

    ReplyDelete